A downloadable textmode art font

Download NowName your own price

What is this?
This is a monospaced font for general use with additional special characters for drawing artwork with your text. You can use it just as a font for your game, or use the included files to make your own artwork on a grid. Examples of artwork are visible on the side here.

About the font:
* 6x8 chars
* pixel font
* 256 chars

Formats:
* Bitmap file
* PNG
* TTF (regular and inverted)

Features:

* Text characters are mostly in ANSI order (things like text and numbers and certain chars) which allows for easy text rendering.
* Compatible with REXpaint, lvllvl, PLAYSCII and most textmode art editors. Can also just be copied and pasted by hand.
* TTF is ready to go. You can drag and drop it into your computer's fonts and start typing, or use it to create a textmode website.

License:
* Free with attribution for commercial and non-commercial. Redistributing the font as an asset is prohibited. This product may not be used to create blockchain content, including all forms of crypto and NFTs. More detail available inside the license.txt.

Updated 15 days ago
StatusReleased
CategoryAssets
Rating
(5)
AuthorsPolyducks, retroshark
Tags1bit, Bitsy, Cute, fonts, Pixel Art, Roguelike

Download

Download NowName your own price

Click download now to get access to the following files:

Kitchen Sink v1.2.zip 20 kB

Development log

Comments

Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.

(+1)

Pretty cool!!!

Hello! I just made an interesting discovery that I thought I'd share. I'm aiming to use the font to make a lil trad roguelike game. Turns out, the png included in the downloads has an alpha channel, which for some reason means that the tilesheet importer in tcod gets confused. Took me ages to work out that this is why the tiles weren't showing up! I fixed it by saving it as a jpg and then turning it back into a png from there. I don't know if there are other contexts where having an alpha channel in the png is useful, but this might be something to consider tweaking in the download?

Very glad I've got it working - it's a beautiful font and I'm looking forward to doing some cool stuff with it xx

Thanks for sharing your solution, I'm sure it will be useful to other users who run into the same issue :)

I shouldn't expect an alpha channel to cause an issue with an imaging API - I imagine that would be a big problem. It might be worth issuing as a bug to tcod on their git repo.

The png is exported at 4bit by default (not entirely sure why) - though looking into it I could probably crunch it down to 1bit. I'm not sure if that will remove the alpha channel or if that will have a negative impact on other implementations.

How did your experiments go?

Thanks for the reply! I will take your suggestion viz the tcod repo - you're absolutely right.

The experiments are ongoing! I have a few weeks off in a few weeks so I'm hoping to hammer it into something playable by then.

very cool :D Ping us when you've got something to show off!

(+2)

Would you consider the font being present with credit and license disclaimers alongside the other game files in a github repository a violation of the license? I like to make my games opensource when I can, but I don't want to violate anyone's license

(+3)

In this case, make sure there is credit in the game as well as attached to the font file itself. If you're including the ttf in the git repo, title it something like "kitchen-sink-by-retroshark-and-polyducks.ttf" with the license.txt alongside in the same folder. This way, players and people looking at the source code will know the attribution. Thanks for asking, we hope you enjoy it! :~)

(+1)

Great work! One bit of feedback on the TTF, though. The glyph for the "X-button" uses Combining Latin Small Letter X (U+036F). The combinator makes it pretty tough to use. E.g. it combines in the mappings like this: ßͯ

(1 edit) (+1)

Thanks for letting us know!

Is it that specific character (U+036F) which causes the issue? How can I avoid that in the future? Would moving it to a different char resolve the issue?

(2 edits) (+1)

Sure thing, and thanks again for the excellent font!

For some additional context: The problem is that the glyph can't be input individually given that it is mapped to a combining character. And, when combined with another character, it is placed above it like thisͯ or this̽. See the "Block" and "Combining Class" in https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/U+036F, for example.

Mapping the glyph to any printable character that can be input individually would solve the problem. If I may suggest, the Multiplication Sign (U+00D7) "×" from the Latin-1 Supplement -block could be a good option.

Here's my exact test case: https://codepen.io/bearror/pen/b6f7292ecdbf35cf8bc192cdca4c1649

OHHHHHH I see! Thanks for the explanation. The X character appears above the previous character like a 2 in a square number. Yes, okay, I can fix that. Good suggestion for the replacement too. I'll put out a log when it's live.

-PDX

(+1)

Thanks for that :) I've given you a shoutout in the changelog and the about file. New versions of the TTF and the character map have been uploaded.

https://polyducks.itch.io/kitchen-sink-textmode-font/devlog/223385/bugfix-11

(+2)

Amazing font, thank you for sharing!

Thank you!

(+1)

Enjoy playing with it :)